This submission call is now closed. You can find calls that are still accepting contributions at Calls for Submissions.
From ManLove Romance Press (http://www.mlrbooks.com/Submissions.php):
Take a Pause
Mental illness, suicide, depression, addiction and self-injury â€“
topics that are hard for a lot. Whether they’ve been diagnosed
themselves or have someone close that has, the effects are felt for
years. Every day someone gets a tattoo of a semi colon to help keep
the conversation going. A story can help the conversation too. The
hope that can be written into a story can mean the difference to
someone you don’t know. Give someone that hope.
– Have a theme of how this touches at least one of the main characters’ life.
(Suggestions: two men that meet while trying to understand why a
friend took their life; a tattoo artist that is doing a lot of semi-colon
tattoos and doesn’t understand until one customer explains it to
him; a nurse/doctor/counselor that works with patients battling
depression or addiction; a EMT that has dealt with a rash of suicides
that needs his partner to help ground him.)
– Be a minimum of 10k, maximum of 40k
– Any subgenre is welcome and all prohibitive guidelines are observed
– Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Any questions can be sent to Kris Jacen at KrisJacen@mlrpress.com
– Deadline for submissions: January 8, 2016.
Notes: I’ve never worked with them, but their website is steamin’, and I’d love to see more well-written romances involving characters with mental illness.