Chicken Soup for the Soul has extended the deadline for its 2018 Christmas and holiday collection to January 10. (The previous deadline was October 31.) Pay is $200 plus 10 copies of the paperback edition for stories of up to 1,200 words.
Here’s what they’re looking for:
Our next holiday collection will not be released until 2018 but we are already collecting stories for it. People love reading about the winter holidays – from Thanksgiving all the way through New Year’s Day. We want to hear about your traditions and how they came to be. We want to hear about your holiday memories and the rituals that create the foundation of your life. We love to hear about the funny things too: the ugly holiday sweaters, the gingerbread house that kept falling down, the re-gifting embarrassments and the fruit cake disasters. Please be sure your stories are “Santa safe” so we don’t spoil the magic for any precocious young readers.
- Publisher: Chicken Soup for the Soul
- Publication type: anthology
- Word Count: poems or essays up to 1,200
- Deadline: November 30, 2017
- Format: no special formatting; all submissions are cut and paste into publisher’s online submissions editor
- Payment: $200 one month after publication and 10 copies of the book
- Rights: First print & e-book rights; that means you can republish your poem or essay at any time after the book appears in print.
- Response time: varies
- Simultaneous submissions: Publisher does not specify whether they consider simultaneous submissions. However, since Chicken Soup for the Soul has a distinct style, it’s probably best not to submit the exact same version of your story that you submitted elsewhere. Read more about simultaneous submissions.
- Will they take reprints? This publisher rarely accepts reprints, though it may do so if your piece only had very limited circulation, such as in a local newsletter or private blog post. You must note any previous publication when you submit the piece.
- More about what the publisher wants: Chicken Soup for the Soul offers detailed submission guidelines outlining its unique style. Read them before submitting.
You can find additional details at http://www.chickensoup.com/story-submissions/possible-book-topics.