This submission call is now closed. You can find calls that are still accepting contributions at Calls for Submissions.
I love Mad Scientist Journal! And they’re putting together a new anthology. It won’t make you rich, but you can have a lot of fun with it. Deadline is March 31. Here’s the call:
We will be creating an anthology titled Utter Fabrication: Historical Accounts of Unusual Buildings and Structures. It will be a collection of fictional stories about haunted houses and other weird places. For this anthology, our pay will be 2¢/word.
We are particularly looking for stories from authors who are underrepresented in fiction: people of color, LGBTQ, non-Western religions and cultures.
Each story is written from the perspective of someone who has encountered this strange location. Like our regular magazine, this narrator will also have a bio. Be certain that your story meets these requirements:
❏ 1st person
❏ 500-8000 words in length
❏ Focuses on a strange building or place
❏ Not a reprint
Here are some ideas that we pitched when we made our Kickstarter, but this is meant to be inspirational and not definitive.
- Haunted houses, obviously.
- Space stations poised at the edge of an anomaly.
- Towns missing people for no clear reason.
- Espresso stands that travel through time.
- Malls that function as dimensional crossroads.
- A cursed painting in an otherwise empty field.
- Unusual sculptures that seem to come from out of this world.
- Structures or ruins left behind by indigenous peoples. (But please don’t stoop to “Indian burial ground” or similar tropes. Seriously, don’t be that person.)
Get the full details at madscientistjournal.org/2017/03/call-for-submissions-utter-fabrication/