This submission call is now closed. You can find calls that are still accepting contributions at Calls for Submissions.
Editor Michael M. Jones wants magical young adult fiction for Schoolbooks & Sorcery: A Queer-Inclusive YA Urban Fantasy Anthology to by published by Ultra Violet Press, an imprint of Circlet Press. The editor has already accepted a number of stories featuring lesbians and female-female relationships, so is now specifically looking for stories of gay, nonbinary/genderqueer, trans, and asexual characters. He would also like to see more stories with characters who are people of color, disabled, and from outside of the United States.
Things you need to know:
- Word count: 2,000-6,000 words
- Payment: 6¢/word, plus electronic and print copies
- Stories must feature LGBTQ characters and to be queer-positive
- Stories must be in a modern setting and include themes of sorcery, magic, and enchantment
- Stories don’t have to take place at a school, but the main characters should be 12–18
- Original stories only. No unsolicited reprints.
- No multiple submissions.
- For an idea of the kinds of stories and writing styles Jones likes, you can check out his previous anthology for adults, Scheherazade’s Façade: Fantastical Tales of Gender Bending, Cross-Dressing, and Transformation.
Please see the editor’s website for complete submission details and answers to your most pressing questions: Schoolbooks & Sorcery—Updated Call for Submissions | Schrodinger’s Bookshelf