Books Save Lives:
Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens
Gay and bi men are under attack in Chechnya, part of the Russian Federation. The Washington Post reports that the government is rounding them up in torture camps, with at least 100 arrests and three deaths. The need to evacuate vulnerable Chechens is urgent. Ninety people so far have sought help from the Russian LGBT Network, and three to five new Chechens reach out to the network's hotline each day for assistance.
How can I help?
- Donate directly to the Russian LGBT Network (Check out this step-by-step guide to donating through RBK Money, a Russian equivalent to PayPal)
- Donate to ILGA-Europe, Rainbow Railroad, or American Friends of Rainbow Railroad (credit card)
- Buy books whose proceeds support these organizations.
- Bid on items in the Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens auction, May 5-13
No money to spare?
- Sign a petition (Amnesty, All Out, Avaaz, or Change.org).
- Write a letter.
- Write to the Russian and Chechen officials listed on this urgent action alert from Amnesty International (PDF download). (Also available in French and Spanish.)
- You can send an email to the Russian Embassy in your country. In the UK, contact email@example.com. US nationals should use firstname.lastname@example.org. And here's the Russian Embassy in Canada.
- You can write a letter to your country's United Nations ambassador. Find samples here.
- Talk about the situation in Chechnya and Readers & Writers for LGBT Chechens on your blog or Tumblr. We can even write the post for you! Sign up for a blog post here.
- Contact Dale Lowry if you want to assist with logistics (webpage updates, press releases, graphic design, and so forth)
- Are you a writer, publisher, or other creative who wants to help? Learn more here.
Books Save Lives: Participating Authors & Publishers
These authors and publishers are donating book proceeds to the Russian LGBT Network and Rainbow Railroad. Check back regularly for updated listings.
- Author Dale Cameron Lowry is donating the proceeds from gay romance anthology Falling Hard through April 21 to the Russian LGBT Network
- Olivia Helling, author of LGBT high fantasy, is donating proceeds from all book sales through April 23
- Adira August, erotic romance author, is donating all royalties from the Amazon title On His Knees from April 24th thru May 31st to the Russian LGBT network.
- Romance & fantasy author Meredith Bond is donating all profits from Falling for a Pirate through May 1.
- Chris Ethan is donating 70% of all sales of The Guy With the Suitcase.
- More to come ...
Thank you to the authors, designers, editors, publishers, and readers who generously donated services and items for our online auction May 5–13. We are currently contacting winning bidders and will update this page with the amount raised shortly.
- Addison Albright
- Adriana Kraft
- Amy Tasukada
- Andrew Jericho
- Annette Gisby
- Arshad Ahsanuddin
- Carole Cummings
- Cecilia Tan
- Cheryl Headford (writing as Nephy Hart)
- Chris Owen
- Damon Suede
- Damon Suede
- Dianne Hartsock
- EM Prazeman
- Gillian St. Kevern
- J. Scott Coatsworth
- Jeff Adams
- Jodi Payne
- Jordan L. Hawk
- Kaje Harper
- Kate Pavelle
- Kayleigh Sky
- Kim Fielding
- KT Kingsbury
- Laura Lascarso
- Laura Lascarso
- Laura Stone
- Liane Bennett
- Lisabet Sarai
- ManLove Romance Press aka MLR Press
- Megan Derr
- Morticia Knight
- Naomi Tajedler
- Neil Plakcy
- Olivia Helling
- P.D. Singer
- Petra Howard of Dragonsfly Edits
- Pipe and Thimble Publishing and Bookstore
- Rachel Davidson Leigh
- Rocky Ridge Books
- Sarah Hadley Brook
- Tiferet Design
- Xenia Melzer
Charities We Support
Russian LGBT Network — Organization working directly with LGBT Chechens.
ILGA-Europe — organization providing funds to LGBT/humanitarian organizations in the Russian Federation who are helping LGBT Chechens get to safety
Rainbow Railroad — Canadian organization working with the Russian LGBT Network to get fleeing Chechens to countries where they will be safer.
American Friends of Rainbow Railroad — A fundraising organization for Rainbow Railroad. U.S. taxpayers who want to deduct a charitable donation from their income taxes can donate here.
Help Save the Lives of LGBT Chechens — FAQ that answers common questions Westerners might have about the effectiveness of LGBT humanitarian aid in Chechnya and the Russian Federation.