This submission call is now closed. You can find calls that are still accepting contributions at Calls for Submissions.
I’m involved in Queer Sci Fi, an organization supporting the creation of speculative fiction by and about queer/QUILTBAG people. Each year, QSF holds a contest asking writers to “do the nearly-impossible – to submit a sci fi, fantasy, paranormal or horror LGBTIQA story that has no more than 300 words.”
But you’re a writer. You’ve been doing the nearly impossible for years, concocting worlds, people, and emotions out of nothing but words. So I’m sure you can come up with something for this year’s QSF flash fiction contest. There’s no submission fee, so what do you have to lose? The details, straight from the website of QSF:
- The story must be no longer than 300 words long, not including the title/byline. Longer entries will be rejected. We use Microsoft Word for our official word count.
- The story must somehow embrace/explore the theme of “renewal”.
- The story can be with or without a queer romance, HEA not required, but must have queer characters and content.
- The story should be speculative fiction – all flavors of sci fi, fantasy, paranormal or horror accepted.
- The story should be a standalone – not connected to any series or universe.
- The winners will be chosen by a panel of five judges.
- Whether a submitted story meets all the qualifications is at the discretion of the judges.
- One entry per person.
- Entries are due by midnight Pacific on 4/10/17.
- Entries should be sent in our template format – PLEASE USE [THIS] WORD TEMPLATE …. Send them to email@example.com, with the email subject line “QSF FLASH FICTION CONTEST: TITLE, AUTHOR”, replacing TITLE and AUTHOR with your own.
- The top three winners will receive cash prizes of $50, $30, and $20 respectively; everyone who is chosen for publication will receive a free copy of the eBook. No royalties will be paid.
- Each of the judges will also select one work for special recognition as a “Judge’s Choice”. There is no monetary reward for this distinction.
- Authors agree to first publication rights on the blog if chosen as a winner or as a “Judge’s Choice”. Authors agree to exclusive publication in QSF anthology for 12 months, with author’s right to publish elsewhere returned after the end of the 12 months after publication date. MCB/QSF retain the right to sell the work for 36 months after publication.
- The judging panel will choose works from all entries submitted to create an eBook and paperback with Mischief Corner Books.
- We don’t have the resources to provide personalized commentary or critique for every story that is not chosen for the anthology, but rest assured, we appreciate every entry.
Source: Contest – Queer Sci Fi